Monday 30 June 2014

Somebody told me that she had a girlfriend.


I often find myself questioning public opinions on certain 'controversial topics'. My attentiveness to be argumentative finds myself opposing common ideas and admittedly I can get carried away. Yet, nothing makes me more sure that being gay is not news.

Being gay is not news because it shouldn't be controversial or something to discuss. When my longest best friend of my life told me she was 'bisexual' I felt nothing more then relief. Relief and maybe even envy that she had already discovered who she was in this world when I was just starting to find out! It was that moment that it finally dawned on me; the only way anyone can ever truly be accepted is if there is no news.

Hear me out before you get confused. Think about this with me; when is something not a focus or talking point? When there is no news to manipulate you into thinking you must look upon it as a disputable act. Understandably, events need to be reported; understandably events such as gay people getting the right to marry is something that needs to be publicised. However, a gay couple talking on a morning chat show may seem like a good charitable thing, but it only raises further interest and opinion, essentially adding more oxygen to the fire.

I can see how this may seem silly so I'll explain further. I can almost hear the exclamations now; "Publicising same sex couples isn't doing harm! It's the best step forward." And who knows? Maybe you're right. But is it so hard to see that making a deal of something that you don't want to be a big deal is massively hypocritical? Personally, I feel shrugging off this 'big deal' with a gentle smile and pleasing attitude would make the unjustifyingly contentious subject something of an everyday occurrence... (well duh;)).

When she told me she had a girlfriend I reacted like anyone else would when their best friend had found someone. You don't need to make a song and dance about the feeling.

Kind regards,

Klinkmillie.

No comments:

Post a Comment